You’ve probably heard countless times that you only get one set of teeth, so you better take care of them. While that advice might sound cliché, at this point it’s still 100-percent true. Despite advances in dental technology, keeping your own teeth healthy is still your best bet for looking and feeling good.
Use these 6 tips to help you care for your teeth as you age so they’ll function properly for as long as possible:
1. Visit your dentist more often. You should be visiting your dentist at least once every six months as you age to make sure your teeth stay healthy. Even minor problems left unchecked can result in the loss of a tooth over time.
2. Talk to your dentist about your dental history. They may have special recommendations for you if they understand what dental problems you’ve had in the past.
3. Use an electric toothbrush every day. While proper brushing with a manual brush is fine, most people don’t really know the best method and don’t brush the two minutes needed. Get yourself an electric toothbrush with a timer and your teeth cleaner.
4. Brush your teeth after eating or drinking foods that stain including coffee, wine, dark juices and tea to avoid staining. Don’t wait – brush immediately whenever possible.
5. Floss your teeth at least once per day using a gentle sawing motion. Don’t pull against teeth – this can cause bleeding in the gums.
Wear a night guard if you grind or clench your teeth while you’re sleeping. Similar to a mouth guard for sports, a night guard can keep you from putting too much pressure on teeth or dulling them over time.